Rejecting a used van – rusty and leaking

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

weeredvan

Hi there,
    I have recently purchased a van with a trader, which came with 6 months warranty and was AA assured to be in good working order. I had to travel a couple hours by bus to retrieve the van as they couldn’t deliver all the way to my address, even though they advertised nationwide delivery!
    When the van was picked up, it seemed fine. Only faults so far were: No CD player as advertised, no working radio, driver-side wing mirror attached with rubber sealant (extremely bouncy and useless).
    The van got home in one piece, but once I had a proper look in the cargo space I found that the end floor panel was very rusty and patches were crumbling away as I swept the dust off it – I can see the road through the floor. So I can’t use the cargo area to hold things in case they fall through.
    If that wasn’t bad enough , after a single night of light rain showers, the interior lights were full of water and dripping down on me. It’s been a few days now and the driver-side floor is soaking wet, and so is the seatbelt for some reason.
    I have told the dealer the problems, he said he will look at the wing mirror and leak, but lifting the plywood floor isn’t in their checks and the floor problem (the big problem!) seems to have been disregarded!
    The dealer also wants me to drive this faulty van back to the dealership (nearly 5 hours away, the other side of Scotland!) even though I have pointed out several times it is his obligation to collect the van. I said I might be able to meet him halfway and he said I should be aware that this could incur cost to me.
    He keeps dragging it out and I only have a few days left to cancel my insurance before having to pay an entire years worth.
    Please help!

• #93134 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

If this is a privately-purchased vehicle for personal use, you would be covered under the Consumer Rights Act. If this is a work vehicle (which I assume it is), then the laws for rejecting the vehicle under the Consumer Rights Act do not apply.

However, it sounds like the vehicle is in very poor condition, so you should be taking issue with the description and the AA report. If it was mis-sold, you should be able to get your money back. But you may have to fight for it.

Reply To: Rejecting a used van – rusty and leaking

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Pin
Email
Reddit
+1