Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles is following the lead of the car sector and launching a scrappage scheme for older vehicles.
The scheme will offer incentives of up to £2,000, separate from any other offers, to operators replacing pre-Euro 5 emissions-compliant diesel vehicles, registered before 2010, with new Volkswagen models with Euro 6-compliant engines.
To qualify for the discount, which will only apply to retail orders, the customer must have owned the vehicle for at least six months and must place their order by 31 December 2017. Volkswagen will scrap the older vehicles rather than selling them on.
The new-for-old discount applies across the Volkswagen LCV range, with the exception of Amarok, California and Transporter Sportline models. Caddy models get a £1,000 allowance, while Transporter, Caravelle and Crafter models get a £2,000 allowance.
With other retail offers still applying, Volkswagen adds that a customer buying a new Crafter van, for example, could end up saving £4,000.
The Van Expert checks the fine print
- This offer is a part-exchange allowance, for selected used vehicles part-exchanged against selected new LCVs.
- Your current vehicle can be from any brand, but must be a diesel built to Euro 4 emissions standard or earlier. This will definitely be vehicles built no later than 2010, although some had Euro 5 specification engines earlier than this.
- You must be the owner of the part-exchange vehicle and the buyer of the new van (same name and registered address).
- You must have owned the old vehicle for at least six months, to stop people buying an old banger for £200 and then getting a £2,000 part-exchange allowance for it.
- The scrappage price is fixed for any eligible vehicle part-exchanged as part of the scheme, not an allowance on top of the vehicle’s value. You are effectively getting nothing for your vehicle, but a discount on the new van (although it won’t be written that way on the contract).
- You must order your new van by 31 December 2017 and take delivery by 31 March 2018.
- This offer can be used on top of any other offers from the dealer/manufacturer/finance company.
- The offer is not dependent on you taking any finance package or other products.